- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 5).
- Line two sandwich tins with butter and then greaseproof paper to ensure the cakes do not stick.
- Use a large bowl to cream together the butter and sugar with a whisk or wooden spoon until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the mixture and stir in between each addition to avoid curdling.
- Add the vanilla extract before folding in the flour with a metal spoon.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Evenly pour the mixture into the two cake tins and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until they are a pale golden colour.
- Take out of the oven and gently remove the cakes from the tins by turning upside down (remember the tins are warm). Place these on a cooling rack for 30 minutes or until completely cooled.
- Top one of the cakes with your chosen jam followed by a level spread of whipped double cream. Place a layer of strawberries on top of the cream.
- Place the additional cake on top of the jam, cream and strawberries to sandwich the filling and sprinkle with icing sugar to finish.
Recipe inspired by: www.bakingmad.com and www.allrecipes.co.uk.